Stopped smoking. Getting sharp pain in lung and chest. Am I at any risk?

Jan 2013

Hi there,
I m currently having sharp pains in my right lung towards the front of my chest near the chest bone where the ribs join. It gets much worse when I lie on eiter side or my stomach or when I take a XXXXXXX breath. I just recently quite heavy smoking (30 per day) about 3 weeks ago so before the pains started. However I'm worried it may have been to late. I am a 31 year old male. If you could give me any Idea what I might be in for would be great. PS a chest X-ray was done a year ago where evrything was ok.
Posted Wed, 20 Feb 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 2 hours later
Welcome to XXXXXXX forum.

Let me know the associated symptoms along with chest pain.
Do you have fever/ respiratory distress/ cough with sputum?
Do you have worsening of cough during night times?
Is there any redness and swelling in skin at the site of chest pain?

With the available described symptomatology and past history of smoking, there appears to high possibilities of underlying pneumonia and pleuritis or costochondritis (inflammation of cartilages joining ribs with chest bone).

Past history of smoking predisposes to increased respiratory tract secretion with impaired clearance. All these pathophysiology may lead to pneumonia formation.
Location of chest pain is in favor of costochondritis which may get worse on touch (getting worse on lying down).

You should consult with XXXXXXX medicine specialist and should go for thorough check up.
You should go for complete hemogram, erythrocyte sedimentation rate (ESR), and chest x XXXXXXX on preliminary basis.
Exact cause can only be determined by chest x XXXXXXX and clinical examination.
You should take analgesics and muscle relaxants for relief of your symptoms.
You should quit smoking forever.
You should take strict bed rest till recovery.

Hope that helps.
Let me know if I can address any more concerns.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava