Stopped smoking. Feeling loose skin inside lower mouth. Not cured by biotene. Any suggestion?

Yes, Thank you. Inside my lower mouth feels like loose skin when I touch it with the tip of my tongue.I don't normally breathe through my nose from many years of smoking, which I was told could cause dry mouth. I tried Biotene which didnot help. I stopped smoking 5 months ago and mouth got only slightly better. As the day goes on my mouth feels worse. also raw feeling Thanks
Posted Sat, 16 Feb 2013 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 1 hour later

Mouth breathing causes dryness and bacteria get built up giving bad smell and unhealthy mucous membrane. Also it may lead to lack of saliva which gives the mucous membranes a raw feeling.

Since you have stopped smoking, the problem you have will surely subside. Only that it may need some time. Meanwhile, do wash your mouth with antiseptic solution like Chlorhexidine twice daily after food. This will prevent bacterial growth and keep the mucous membranes healthy. Also it does stimulate the production of the saliva due to its flavor and keep the mucous membranes wet.

Hope I answered your query.

Please do let me know if there are any concerns.