Stopped smoking. Experiencing chest pain. EKG normal. Is this related to anxiety?

I have experienced chest pain. It feels as though its right around my sternum. I am a 27yo w,, 6'00", 240lbs. No history of heart disease. Quit smoking 1 year ago. Don't drink. The pain seems to shift around my chest area. It is a sharp, warm pain that is somewhat manipulable. It seems to come and go, especially when I deal with or see a death due to heart issues. (Work). I have had two EKG's (12 lead) at the fire station and both have been clear. Does this sound like anxiety? Or a real issue? Also is an EKG enough? Would the EKG's certainly show a life threatening issue with my heart?
Posted Mon, 29 Apr 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 1 hour later
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

True, it does sound like Anxiety.
However, it should be an exclusion diagnosis - except by the Psychiatrist...
You need investigation for exclusion...
You are too young to have Coronary Artery Disease.
      A resting EKG is not enough. TMT (Treadmill exercise EKG) is done to exclude Ischemia (reduced blood flow).
     ECHOcardiogram is necessary to see the heart valves (muscle (Cardiomyopathy) and heart function (Ejection fraction, wall motion abnormality).
LABORATORY work-up is routine - like blood counts, sugar, urea, electrolytes (potassium in particular) so on.
Routine Chest X-ray is done to see the lungs...
Your Internist shall suggest based on the situation.

You are obese (BMI = 32.5 / Normal less than 25!) / You need life style changes - diet and exercise / Consult a dietician / Get enrolled in a Gym...

Great that you stopped smoking.

Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck
Follow-up: Stopped smoking. Experiencing chest pain. EKG normal. Is this related to anxiety? 1 hour later
Thanks Doc!

The problem seems to come and go. I will experience symptoms for several days and then not again for months. Is this consistent or inconsistent with any aforementioned possibilities?
This is the usual / typical presentation...
Get investigated / get reassured...