Stopped periods due to depo shot, want to try for baby, done FSH, LH test. Interpretation of blood test?

Question
I hAVE RECENTLY HAD A BLOOD TEST DONE FOR AN FSH AND LH HORMONE TEST. MY FSH WAS 8 AND LH WAS 3. I HAVENT HAD A PERIOD SINCE FEBRUARY THIS YEAR AS I WAS ON THE DEPO INJECTION WHICH STOPPED MY PERIODS. I WAS DUE MY NEXT INJECTION ON THE 1ST JULY BUT DIDNT WANT TO CONTINUE SO DIDENT HAVE IT. MY PERIODS STILL HAVENT RETURNED AND I NOW WANT TO TRY FOR A BABY. I HAVE BEEN TOLD THAT IT CAN TAKE 3-6 MONTHES FOR THEM TO COME BACK AFTER STOPPING DEPO. BUT WHAT IS THE INTERPRETATION OF MY BLOODS ARE THEY OK?
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Birth Control

Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 2 hours later

Depo-Provera can cause Amenorrhoea which can last for months to years. I have seen one case in which it lasted for two years. Do not get anxious as stress is one of the factors causing irregular cycles.

Your FSH was done on which day of the cycle?
It is usually done on third to fifth day of the cycle.
If egg number is less the FSH will be high. Normally, it should be less than 10 miliIU/L.
The levels above 12 MIu/L are not considered good.

Normal LH levels vary between 5-25 IU/L. It is maximum when there is LH surge, means just before the ovulation. Kindly ask your doctor for help.

So, your hormone levels looks normal. But, it can vary from one laboratory to other, so please check what the normal range is in your laboratory.

Get your TSH (Thyroid Stimulating Hormone), Estradiol and Prolactin levels also checked.

Ultrasound is very important so as to see the endometrial lining and possibility of Polycystic Ovarian Disease.

You can take iron supplements if you are anemic. If overweight, do some aerobics and brisk walk.
Avoid trans fats in the food.

I hope you get your periods very soon.

I hope my suggestions help you.

I will be available for follow up queries if any.