Stopped micronor a month ago, breastfeeding. Having bad headaches, no periods, lower back pain, home test was negative. Can I be pregnant ?

i stopped micronor one month ago. i was only on it for 3 months, during this time i was sexually active. While i was taking micronor i had spotting occasionally. i have been breastfeeding for 7 months, and before starting micronor i hadn't had a period. i am now experiencing period like symptoms but no period...bad headaches, lower back pain, lack of concentration, fatique, weird feeling in abdomen, gas, emotional. 5 days ago i had thick mucus discharge, and still have discharge. I thought i could be ovulating but the symtoms are getting worse. I really feel pregnant, but the home test was a negative.
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Early Pregnancy Signs and Symptoms
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 29 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query

Micronor is ‘norethisterone’ containing oral contraceptive pill and if taken regularly then it provides good contraceptive effect. The pill contains progesterone and causes changes in the hormonal levels to prevent pregnancy by altering mucus thickness, egg release and ovulation.

There is a sudden decline in the hormonal levels after stopping pill. This can present as headache, back pain, nausea, vomiting, vaginal discharge, spotting, irregular periods, etc., for few cycles until the normal hormonal levels are achieved.

First of all, if you had been taking the pills regularly and also breast feeding then possibility of pregnancy is remote. But as the contraceptive effect of the pill is lost immediately after stopping the pill, if you had involved in unprotected intercourse after stopping the pills, then pregnancy can be suspected.

Urine test may not show up immediately after conception and may take 10 to 15 days after a missed period date to give results. You can get a beta Blood HCG test done for pregnancy determination and also see a Gynecologist as pelvic examination will also help in precise diagnosis.

Hope this answers your query. I will be available for follow up query if any.