Stopped drinking alcohol. Face is very itchy and blotchy, stinging sensation in eye. Are they related?

I stopped drinking last week after 2 months of very heavy drinking. I feel well but my face is very itchy and blotchy. My eyes are very itchy and red around the lids and when I close my eyes there is a stinging sensation. This has got gradually worse over the week. Can the two be linked at all ?
Posted Fri, 31 Aug 2012 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 8 hours later

Yes, there are chances for the symptoms you have to be related to the alcohol consumption but not stopping it.

The symptoms appear to be due to deficiency of vitamins specially Vit B12 which is a much expected condition in heavy consumption of alcohol.

Need not worry , taking multivitamin supplements would clear your problem.

Do consider the preparation which do have Vit B12 in it.

I also suggest you to consume lots of water this would help to remove the metabolites which get accumulated in such conditions.

Hope I answered your query.

Wish you good health.