Stopped drinking. Getting mild temperature in evening. Found elevated bilirubin, globulin level. Any ideas?

Total bilurubin is 2.61 - -alt and ast normal. Globulin slghtly elevated. I used to have 4 drinks very day since many years but have stopped it 10 days back and continue to do. Everyday around 8pm i get mild temperature not crossing 100 deg - what do i do?
Posted Sun, 14 Apr 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Dinesh Kumar Singal 1 hour later

Thanks for contacting Healthcare Magic.

Your bilirubin is certainly high, but indirect portion is more than direct portion. This can be sometimes seen in a condition called Gilbert's Syndrome. This a normal condition for which nothing needs to be done. Sometimes this situation may also occur when there is a breakdown of haemoglobin. But since your haemoglobin is normal, I am not considering this possibility, though I can not completely rule out breakdown of haemoglobin.

AST is also higher than normal, and is much more than ALT. This may suggest liver injury due to alcohol. Mildly raised temperature may also occur in alcohol related liver injury.

All these features can also occur in infections like malaria.

Hence my suggestion will be to see a good physician who can completely evaluate you and decide further course of management.

Best wishes.

Dr Dinesh Singal