Stopped diverticulitis medicine. Thyroid removed due to PTC. Have elevated TSH level. Do I need colonoscopy?

Hello again
,Not sure if you see the past questions but I have been off diverticulitis meds for a week now and things are much better. My question is I had thyroid removed due to PTC with hurthle cell and when they did blood work for the diverticulitis the thyroid panel was included and my TSH jumped from 2 to 25 and the t3 and t4 also changed but not in the way you would think for the rise in TSH. Which will be evaluated at the end of April. At that timeI will also find out if I have to do radio active iodine. Meanwhile my synthroid dosage was increased. Could that make have several bowel movements in a short time in the morning? Good news it does not hurt. Also is it ok to have an occasional glass of wine ounces diagnosed with diverticulitis. Now that I am able to have pain free eliminations should the thickened sigmoid wall still be investigated.
Posted Sat, 20 Apr 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Charles S Narasi 2 hours later

I am glad that you are recovering from the attack of diverticulitis nicely and are off medications. High TSH levels do suggest that you have very under-active thyroid and need replacement therapy. I am glad they are working on adjusting the dose of your Synthroid.

As for your specific question, whether you still need to have a colonoscopy, my answer is a definite YES. But as I have mentioned to you before, it is safe to wait for about 8-12 weeks after the attack of diverticulitis. Two reasons, give time for the swelling and inflammation to heal, and secondly, procedure would be tolerated better both by the patient and the doctor. Increased easy bowel movements are due to release of blockage from reduced swelling of the colon wall.

Hope I answered your query.

Please let me know if there are any other concerns.

I wish you the very best.
Follow-up: Stopped diverticulitis medicine. Thyroid removed due to PTC. Have elevated TSH level. Do I need colonoscopy? 22 minutes later
Thyroid is gone but yes hormone replacement must be adjusted. It just seems strange that I will have 3-4 bowel movement in the morning within an hour or so.
If I can have colonoscopy before my health insurance is terminated XXXXXXX 1st I will defiantly have it done. Is it it okay to have a occasional glass of wine. I don't drink much but for some reason I want a glass of wine. I'm not sure if I had read alcohol can aggravate diverticulitis
Answered by Dr. Charles S Narasi 44 minutes later

If you can have your colonoscopy at the second week of May it will be O.K.

As for occasional glass of Red wine, that's fine.

During the acute attack and when you are on antibiotics then you do not want to mix alcohol even in small amount because of side effects.

Hope this answers your concerns.

Wish you well.