Stopped chewing tobacco, irritation in lower cheek, spot or white patch. Leukoplakia ?

ENT Specialist
My husband stopped chewing 4 months ago because of the irritation it caused inside his lower cheek.Both the dentist and doctor have been checking on it but I am still worried. The spot has cleared about 90 percent and the dentist said he will check on it at cleaning from now on. I don't know why I am still so concerned about it, but I can't help to worry all the time.
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 28 minutes later

Thanks for the query

You have provided with good information but I would like to know few more things as this would help me in suggesting you better.

Could you please tell us what was the diagnosis made by your doctor? Was there any infected tooth, history of alcohol or smoking?

Lesions such as leukoplakia (white patch over the buccal mucosa), erythroplakia (reddish lesion over the buccal mucosa), candid infection and lichen planus can present in the similar fashion. Apart from this any sharp tooth in the surrounding could have caused chronic irritation leading to mucositis (inflammation of the buccal mucosa). All these are just speculations, only after a thorough history and proper examination a diagnosis can be made.

Perhaps a physical examination by a physician will be useful in differentiating amongst the various possibilities. Discuss about these with your primary physician.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
Follow-up: Stopped chewing tobacco, irritation in lower cheek, spot or white patch. Leukoplakia ? 2 hours later
The dentist and doctor both said the lesion was from his chewing tabacco habit which caused irritation to his lower left cheek. He has since quit 4 months ago. Our family doctor said the lesion has healed well and no longer needs follow up.The dentist checked it 3 weeks ago and said it looked great and he will check it at his cleaning from now on.For some reason I am still worrying myself sick about it and just need a little piece of mind to know that the dentist and doc are right. He doesn't have any sharp teeth and does not drink but socially.
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 16 hours later

Thanks again,

I do think, tobacco chewing could have caused Leukoplakia or Sub mucous fibrosis which has improved over the time.

If your doctor feels the lesion has healed, then you should be happy about it.

It is indeed difficult for the above lesions to heal off in such a short duration.

No need to worry, he will be alright, just keep a watch over the lesion, encourage your husband to take plenty of anti-oxidant XXXXXXX food such as citrus fruits, blue berries, beans, artichokes, etc.

Wish him good health.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon.