Stopped blood thinners,ibuprofen for procedure for hurting back,,anti-inflammatory for sciatic nerve pain

I can't take any blood thinners or ibuprofen for a week; in prep fo a procedure I'm having. I've hurt my back and need an anti-inflamatory for my sciatic nerve pain. Can I take Aleve instead of ibuprofen for this?
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 29 minutes later

Aleve belongs to a group of drugs called NSAIDS that is similar to the group that of ibuprofen and probably needs to be avoided as well.

The drug that you can use now is paracetamol .You may take upto 650mg (double strength) tab twice a day after food. Discuss about its use with your primary doctor before trying it. The medications can causeacidity/gastritis problems in some people. You may start some antacids if they occur in you.

The other alternative anti inflammatory measures include the following.
1. Topical anti inflammatory preparations - as they are minimally absorbed into the systemic circulation, they may be useful in the present situation.
2. Local heat therapy in the form of hot water fomentation (hot water bag application) applied over the affected region.
3. Adequate rest off course is very useful here.

Hope I have helped you to find an answer to your problem.