Stopped biting lips. Skin on lips keep peeling. Am I suffering from exfoliative cheilitis?

Jul 2012

i have a habit of biting my lips. It continued for 5-6 years. I stopped biting my lips since 2 years. Inspite of that they did not heal. My skin keeps peeling off every 3-4 days. It turns pale white when it comes into contact with any wet substance. My lips have become so messy and i am extremely finding it difficult go out anywhere. i cant sit close to anyone and speak to them. i am under lot of stress. i have visited lot of dermatalogists and have taken various treatments but still my lips have not healed. i surfed internet and came to know that i am suffering from exfoliative cheilitis .i guess, i am suffering from similar symptoms. Doctor please help me, i am under severe stress.
Posted Sat, 10 Nov 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 1 hour later
Hi there XXXXXXX
I understand your problem & empathise with you.
However, these things take time to resolve & what has evloved over 2 years will not resolve in 2 days!
I am happy to note you have pinpointed it to lip-licking & have stopped the same. The first hurdle has been crossed.
Am unaware of what creams you have used hitherto.
I recommend drinking lots of oral fluids to hydrate the lips.
Neutrogena's lip balm with a 15SPF to be used in the mornings from XXXXXXX to dusk & reapplied each 3-4 hrs & when washing face or swimming etc.
Use kenalog orabase evenings for a week or so; then shift to good ole vaseline atop wet lips to hydrate better.
This should work for you. Relax ...these things have a way of sorting themselves out!
Good Luck & Godbless!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD
Dermatologist, Cosmetologist, Venereologist XXXXXXX Hospital, Bangalore, India
Follow-up: Stopped biting lips. Skin on lips keep peeling. Am I suffering from exfoliative cheilitis? 1 hour later
Ii have used creams like moisture x ,lipz along with other anti fungal tablets and multi vitamin capsules. On doctors advice, I have even made significant changes to my diet.I hav increased my intake of fluids to keep myself hydrated.I have been doing this for more than one year. Dr XXXXXXX its true that nothing can happen in a short of time but dont u think one year is too long.I am postin this query only after I have tried everything.I feel that nobody is getting hold of my problem please step in my shoes and feel how it would be with all that loose skin hanging off my lips and people staring at them.I have managed it for more than a year and I am sick and is seriously affectin my life.I am not a doctor but would u mind checking whether I am suffering from exfoliative cheilitis.I have seen that in internet and I am experiencing similar symptoms.I need u to help me doc.if it was some other body part I would have covered it up but I cant cover my lips.I request you to please get to the rootof my problem and help me
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 11 hours later
5 suggestions:
1. Upload a good digital photo of lips onto this site if possible
2. Go across to a dermatologist in your area & do a skin/lip biopsy (an oral surgeon may also be a good bet).
3. Revisit your oral hygeine products eg toothpaste et al: a simple way is to stop all..perhaps some tootpaste is contributory & is often the case. think back to when it started & perhaps there is a link to something as simple.
4. Do use the creams i loose nothing in the interim :)
5. Mesotherapy may be the last resort (injections of fillers/substances into the lips to restore the volume et al...expensive & requires cosmetically inclined person)
Cheers; I do feel for you but am doingmy best to be objective & give you we can do online. This particular issue requires the services of a person (dermatologist) on the ground near you. If you indicate where you hail from, would be happy to suggest a colleague near you if possible to visit! Good Luck & wish this helps you soon & your self image is soon restored!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD
Follow-up: Stopped biting lips. Skin on lips keep peeling. Am I suffering from exfoliative cheilitis? 7 hours later
I understand the limitations of this online service and very much appreciate your help.the more I speak to u the better I am feeling. I have uploaded a photo of my lips. This is what I live with. Everyday. It happens like that on day five and then the skin peels off and then it starts again. It is cyclical. I had to reluctantly upload my pic.its so embarrassing. It looks a little better when i apply those creams which i mentioned previously but it has proven to be only a temporary relief and besides that i have to repeatedly keep them applying. And i have to avoid drinking anything to keep my lips from becoming wet and messy. I have even stopped drinking tea at my work place and am avoidin parties too to avoid any public embarrassment.U asked me to stop using any toothpaste for a while. I ll try that for a month in case u suggest any alternative To brush my teeth.secondly u have asked me to use kenalog orabase. Is it an ointment and how to use e these otc products.thirdly I am staying in vishakapatnam,andhra pradesh and frequently travel to hyderabad too.suggest me a well qualified doc who can get to the root of my problem. without any delay.I need proper help and someone who can guide me through this.this problem is denting my career prospects seriously. Dr XXXXXXX I would really be indebted to you for all your help
Hey there XXXXXXX.
Relax. I understand it is an issue.
Kenalog orabase is a steroid based cream in a base suitable for lip/intraoral usage.
Use the neutrogena SPF15 daily mornings also
In hyderabad, i had an old friends father-Son combine by the name of Aurangabad...son is a may tell him Dr Praveen Rodrigues frm Blore referred you; alternatively a gentleman by the name of KK XXXXXXX Babu is a good bet!
Instead of tooth paste, one may try 'powder ' for awhile; till u isolate which paste if so or any particular tooth paste 'gel' that is contributory.
Please do go ahead & try my advice for a month. It should work well ;-)
Please do close this query,& rate us ; else it bounces back as a follow-up; You are most welcome to seek me out after a month or any other time!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD
Follow-up: Stopped biting lips. Skin on lips keep peeling. Am I suffering from exfoliative cheilitis? 24 minutes later
Doc, where can I find XXXXXXX babu exactly . I ll be glad if u provide me wit Any contact number or address .thanks for ur help. God bless
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 14 hours later
Hi there XXXXXXX
Am afraid i cant divulge mobile nos et al as per privacy regulations.
However, Blore has a 'just-dial' yellow pages service. XXXXXXX Babu was an erstwhile Professor of XXXXXXX Medical College & one may contact the staff there.
Vizag has an old friend called Dr B XXXXXXX XXXXXXX elderly may go across to his clinic & use my reference too . Cheers!
Do close this query on this site though as it bumps up as a follow-up even if you mail a thanks :) technology issues. Take care & hope my advice or one of these young gentlemen can be of help to you. Take heart & courage & all will be well.
I was always taught: 'If you see a man with one hand & feel sorry for him, think about the man with no hands at all!'
Cheers & Godspeed!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD