Stopped birth control pills. Started joint pain. Tested negative for arthritis and thyroid. Looking for treatment

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
I read a question from another women and it is exactly my ailment--I was taken off birth control and within a month or two, I woke up with terrible joint pain in my hands. It has gone on to my toes and knees. I have been to the doctor and had blood test and xrays for arthritis, rhuemotoid arthritis, and thyroid. All the tests show negative for any of those conditions. My hands are so sore and ache for the whole day. I was put on Prempro for 4 weeks to see if the estrogen would help and it did not. Is that a long enough time to see if the estrogen would work? Any ideas to help me?
Posted Wed, 25 Jul 2012 in Birth Control

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
At your age, common cause of multiple joint pains is calcium and Vitamin D3 deficiency. In addition to the estrogen therapy adequate calcium supplementation is also necessary for relief.
The pain you are having is likely to be due to post menopausal osteoarthritic changes. You can try combination pills again after a few weeks drug free period.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.

Follow-up: Stopped birth control pills. Started joint pain. Tested negative for arthritis and thyroid. Looking for treatment 3 hours later
I have been on calcium and vitamin d supplements for years. Any other idea?

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 30 minutes later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
You can get your bone mineral density evaluated to know the status of your bone strength. In case it is normal then immune related disorders need to be considered.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.