Stool with white thread like strings, no mucus. History of gastrointestinal issues. Should I see a doctor?

Gastroenterologist
Question
Hi today my stool was very abnormal.it did not appear to be a normal color or consistency instead was nothing but white threadlike strings. There was no mucus, diarrhea or normal stool at all. I felt constipated though. I have multiple gastrointestinal issues & wonder if a trip to the hospital is necessary
Posted Sun, 9 Jun 2013 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 38 minutes later
Thanks for posting the query.
I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini and I am pleased to assist you.

What other gastrointestinal issues you have?

Follow-up: Stool with white thread like strings, no mucus. History of gastrointestinal issues. Should I see a doctor? 3 minutes later
I have gastroperesis & gastritis. I also have IBD & ulcers.

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 25 hours later
If possible, upload the picture of the white thread like thing you saw during the bowel movement so that I can have a look and give my opinion.

Follow-up: Stool with white thread like strings, no mucus. History of gastrointestinal issues. Should I see a doctor? 24 hours later
I don't have a picture but the best comparison would be like fish excrement. Very stringy & appeared sticky.

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 29 hours later
I am not able to fit your symptom in to any specific disease.
If the symptom you have mentioned persists or recurs, then I would suggest you to get your stool analysis done and if needed a colonoscopy done ( taking the history of IBD in to consideration).

I hope that answers your question.
If you have no more questions, kindly rate this service.
Dr.Ratnakar Kini