Stool test showed alcaligenes. Diagnosed with bacterial infection. Feeling week and tired. Any advice?

Doctor just called about my stool test results and says I have the opportunistic bacteria "Alcaligenes"? I was tested before and had high levels of H. Pylori and Hook Worm, which I was treated for and they showed negative on this test. I went to the Bahamas in March, started my cycle and got in the water with a Sea Lion with my tampon in. Upon coming back home, my OBGYN diagnosed me with a bacterial infection and prescribed Flagyll. I now smell an odor again in my vaginal area and have slept practically non-stop for a week. What is "Alcaligenes" and does my former bacterial infection have anything to do with the other. I don't necessarily feel sick...I just feel very weak, tired and not hungry. I'm also having diarreah. Age:34 Weight: 140 Height: 5'51/2" Thank you!
Posted Thu, 2 Aug 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
Alcaligenes fecalis is generally a non pathogenic bacteria but sometimes may cause a gut infection or a diarrhea you are having is likely to be due to the infection.
The vaginal infection you had in the past is not likely to be related to this infection. The symptoms of weakness and tiredness are usually associated with dehydration and fluid and electrolyte imbalances associated with diarrhea.
1. You can start by eating soft, bland food: toast, bananas, crackers, plain rice, cooked carrots, boiled potatoes, baked chicken ~ no skin, etc.
2.Replace lost fluid and salts:Take broth, soup, fruit juices, soft fruits, or vegetables.
3.Avoid the following foods: Dairy (milk, cheese, yogurt, etc.), Cold drinks - stick to warm tea or water as long as symptoms persist, Raw fruits and vegetables, fried & greasy food and fast food, spicy food, caffeine,etc.
If the symptoms are not relieved , medical treatment might be needed after proper examination.
Specific antibiotic treatment is recommended to control the gut infection.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.