Stool test done. Found presence of pus and traces of mucus. Should I take medicine?

Aug 2012

i had a stool routine done. it says pus cells 1-2 hpf and mucus trace. what could the cause and should i take any medicines
Posted Sat, 13 Apr 2013 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Madhuri Patil 2 hours later
Hi there.

Thank you for the query.
The presence of only traces of mucus and 1 to 2 pus cells in the stool routine can be ignored without any treatment if you are totally asymptomatic.
But if you are suffering from colicky pain in the abdomen and any discomfort in the stomach then you need anti-amoebic treatment with agents like tinidazole. For appropriate doses and frequency you will need to see your physician only.
I hope you got your answer. Take care. Get back for any related query.
Follow-up: Stool test done. Found presence of pus and traces of mucus. Should I take medicine? 1 hour later
Thanks Dr. XXXXXXX I met with a Gastro and he has prescribed me Satrogyl O with enterogermina oral dose.
Answered by Dr. Madhuri Patil 37 minutes later
Yes. This one is from the category of anti-amoebic drugs. Please take it as described by your doctor. Take care.