Stool test came positive for Clostridium difficile. Prescribed with Flagyl. Got blood in stool. Dangerous?

Question
C Diff?I asked a question earlier, but I wanted to ask further questions. I am 27 years old and my stool sample came back today positive for C Diff. I have been defecating mucus for about a little over a week and today it had very minute amounts of blood in it. I am being prescribed Flagyl. My questions are: Is this deadly? How likely is it to kill someone?
Posted Sun, 31 Mar 2013 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 17 minutes later
This is basically a bacteria thats infecting your GI system hence causing symptoms like mucus and blood in the stool. Flagyl is the correct treatment,as its an antibiotic. As long as the infection is cleared completely with antibiotic therapy there shouldnt be any serious side effects of the infection.Injudicious use of antibiotics in the past in most often the cause of the infection. Start some probiotics also. If flagyl doesnt work,higher grade drugs can also be prescribed. Unless the infection is rampant,causing severe forms of colitis,its not fatal.

Follow-up: Stool test came positive for Clostridium difficile. Prescribed with Flagyl. Got blood in stool. Dangerous? 8 minutes later
How would you know if it is deadly or is becoming serious? As of right now cramps, bloating, and the mucus/small amounts of blood. I have a 2 year old daughter and another daughter on the way. I don't want to die.

Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 5 minutes later
The deadly form is called pseudomembranous colitis.The symptoms are much severe. Dont panic yet. Complete the flagyl dose first. The symptoms will take a few days to recede.

Follow-up: Stool test came positive for Clostridium difficile. Prescribed with Flagyl. Got blood in stool. Dangerous? 6 minutes later
Who is the usual victim of dying from C Diff? How likely is it that this C Diff is resistant to Flagyl? What percentage if people die who get C Diff? And lastly: How contagious is it to spread to my family?

Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 10 minutes later
Fatality is 1-2 %.Its not common. Resistance will depend on your past use of antibiotics. Most cases are responsive. Yes,it can be contagious and spread through oro-feacal method.So maintain good hygiene and was your hands properly. It would be better to minimize contact with your kids at least until the diarrhea is under control.