Stool test came positive for Clostridium difficile. Prescribed with Flagyl. Blood in stool

General Surgeon
Question
C Diff and Flagyl?I am 27 years old and have been diagnosed with C Diff today. For the past week I had random bouts of defecating pure mucus with very minute amounts of blood (so minute you have to look close to it to notice). My actual feces has been fairly formed though, I only defecate the mucus in between bowel movements. My question is given the info how likely is Flagyl (500mg 3 times a day for 14 days) to cure the C Diff?
Posted Sun, 31 Mar 2013 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 56 minutes later
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Yes, Flagyl (Metronidazole 3x500 mg) is the treatment which should eradicate this bacteria from your digestive tract. You should also use probiotic along with this antibiotic. Just note that if you wont see any improvement in few days, stool culture test should be performed.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.

Follow-up: Stool test came positive for Clostridium difficile. Prescribed with Flagyl. Blood in stool 12 minutes later
Should I be seriously concerned about dying from this?

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 24 minutes later
As you are diagnosed correctly and have proper treatment this infection wont make any danger for you. Just keep looking at your body and be aware of bloating, vomiting, diarrhea which is not improving, weakness, lost of consciousness. Keep yourself well hydrated and have soft diet for couple of days and you should be fine.

Hope this will help.
Regards.

Follow-up: Stool test came positive for Clostridium difficile. Prescribed with Flagyl. Blood in stool 9 minutes later
How likely is it to have serious complications at my age? Also, is the symptoms I said previously common with C Diff?

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 25 minutes later
Hello!

Yes, symptoms like mucus in stool, abdominal pains, blood in stool, nausea, loose stools are very characteristic symptoms.
Complications are more possible when C.Dificile dis not diagnosed. If the treatment is ordered and you know what to watch for, serious complications are rather unlike.

Hope this will help.
Regards.