Stool routine report shows mucus present and stool cultures shows Ecoli, heavy growth. What is the cure?

Pediatrician, Pulmonology
Dear Doctor, I have a 5 month old daughter. Generally she used to pass motion once in 2 days. However, for past 2 weeks she is having diarrhea. She was passing 6-7 motions which were green, slimy, watery/foamy. Our pediatrician told us to start econorm (half sachet) and Z&D drops. However even after giving her this for 6-7 days her motion did not stop. We got her stool routine and culture done. Stool routine report was - Mucus present, RBC 1-2, Pus cells 2-3 Stool Culture - Ecoli, Heavy growth. So on the 9th day we started antibiotics as advised by the doctor (3ml x 3 times a day for 5 days) Today is the 4th day. The color of the stool has changed from green to mustard but she is still passing 3-5 stools every day. Yesterday we noticed that the mustard colored stool contains scattered dots of blood (I think it was blood since it was dark orange in color). We are very concerned since it has been more than 72 hrs and we have not seen much improvement. FYI: 1. Exclusively breast fed and passing urine 15-18 times a day. 2. Currently I am having oversupply of milk. 3. Baby is active and happy. 4. Her weight is 6.8 kgs (birth weight was 2.7 kgs). 5. Baby is having little cold for the past 2 weeks and looks like she is teething because she is constantly chewing her fingers. Please advice.
Posted Sun, 15 Dec 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Arun 25 minutes later
Brief Answer: Continue breast feeding and 5 days antibiotics Detailed Answer: Hi Thanks for writing to health care magic. From your history it seems your daughter has dysentery Stool culture will always be positive as stool naturally contains ecoli. But in your daughters case it's the blood mixed stool which points towards bacterial infection. As you have already started antibiotics I would suggest you to complete 5 days course. Your daughter is active and passing urine well. So nothing to be worried for. Stools will settle down soon , my advice is to continue breast feed and complete 2 more days of antibiotics. Do give her econorm and zinc too. Wishing your daughter great health. Regards Dr Arun
Follow-up: Stool routine report shows mucus present and stool cultures shows Ecoli, heavy growth. What is the cure? 27 hours later
Hello Doctor, Now even i have developed Diarrhea. Since I am exclusively breastfeeding, can i take Norflox TZ ot eldoper. In case they are not safe during breastfeding, please advice which meds can I take. Thanks Mother
Answered by Dr. Arun 6 hours later
Brief Answer: Better avoid Detailed Answer: Hi Both the medicines which you are about to take are not advisable during breast feeding. If you really need to take it, it's better to skip breastfeeding till your treatment is over. However medicines like ORS and probiotics like bifilac can be taken during breastfeeding for your diarrhea. Regards Arun