Stool in white. Was suffering from loose motions. Took eldoper. Reason?

My stool is white in color... what can be a reason? is it a major concern?

i had been suffering from loose motions yesterday and had taken eldoper for medications.
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 2 hours later

Thanks for posting the query.

After going through you query, I would like to comment the following:

1. White stools during episode of diarhhea may be seen in infective diarrheas. If associated with gastroenteritis, you need to treat the infection first along with rehydration and then the condition subsides.

2. If stool is white on other days also, then you need to get yourself evaluated, preferably by a gastroenterologist.

3. White stool may be caused by a lack of bile, which may indicate a serious underlying problem. Hepatitis, cirrhosis, gallstones, malabsorption are a few conditions associated with white stools.

4. Thus white stools if present on normal days need to be further evaluated.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be glad to answer any follow up queries.

Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra