Stool culture and gram stain reports said occasional WBC and many gram positive and many gram negative bacilli. Meaning?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Question
I just got the results of a stool culture and gram stain. The results say: "Smear shows many gram positive bacilli, many gram negative bacilli, occasional white blood cells, rare epithelial cells, few yeast cells seen. Negative for Salmonella, Shigella, Campylobacter and Yersinia. Negative for Shiga toxin 1 and 2. Can you interpret, specifially on the "Many gram positive and many gram negative bacilli" and the "Occasional WBC"?

Thank you!!
Posted Tue, 26 Jun 2012 in IBS(Irritable Bowel Syndrome)

Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 1 hour later

Thank You for writing in XXXXXXX

I will interpret your report findings.
1.Presence of gram positive and many gram negative bacilli is a normal phenomenon. 95% of normal stool content is organisms such a as gram positive and gram negative bacilli.The description refers to the staining properties of these organisms. It is good that there is no toxic organism in the stool test result list.
2. In your case you need not worry about the occasional presence of WBC in stools. Large numbers may signify invasive bacterial infection in case of acute diarrhea. Use of this test is obsolete now it was an age old test.

RBC's find their way into the stools occasionally. If present in large numbers then it could signify many serious pathological conditions ranging from infection to inflammatory bowel disease.

I hope my explanation answers your query.

With regards

Follow-up: Stool culture and gram stain reports said occasional WBC and many gram positive and many gram negative bacilli. Meaning? 9 hours later
Thank you very much for your reply. This has eased my mind somewhat, as my appointment is not for a week to discuss the results. I really appreciate your response and the service you offer!!

Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 8 hours later
Thank you very much for your positive response. You can write to me directly if you have any querry.
With regards

Follow-up: Stool culture and gram stain reports said occasional WBC and many gram positive and many gram negative bacilli. Meaning? 39 hours later
Hi Dr,

Thanks for your previous reply regarding a stool culture. Also noted was that "few epithelial cells, and few yeast cells" seen. Are these of any importance in a stool culture?

Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 9 hours later
Epithelial cells in small numbers are of no clinical significance. The same applies to a few yeast cells. You need not worry about these two elements.
I hope this answers your query.
With regards
Dr Vagholkar