Stomachache, numbness and tingling in hands and feet. Getting relief after B12 vaccination. Suggestion?

General Surgeon
Hi I have regular numbness and tingling in my hands and my feet and bottom part of my legs can go very cold and a bit numb. My leg can hurt when I turn my body around plus my knee and hip.
That is one thing. B12 injections are helping but I still need more help. I also have alot of pain and stomach cramps at night and often it can be really unbearable. I have given up wheat which has helped considerably but still find myself dealing with alot of pain. I have had CT scans and everything seems clear aside from some mild diverticulitus. But I feel a hard lump to the left of my belly button which feels like an obstruction to digesting food properly. I am only 53 and find these problems with digestion and circulation a worry. Could you help me in a clearer direction?
Posted Wed, 27 Feb 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 3 hours later

Tingling and Numbness of your hands and feet can be due to your age. As there is response to B12 injections, you need not worry. You can add Gabapentin as it showed good results for tingling and numbness to many patients of mine.

The most common symptom of diverticulitis is abdominal pain. The most common sign is tenderness around the left side of the lower abdomen. If infection is the cause, then nausea, vomiting, fever, cramping, and constipation may occur as well. The severity of symptoms depends on the extent of the infection and complications. Diverticulitis may worsen throughout the first day, as it starts as small pains and/or diarrhea, and may slowly turn into vomiting and sharp pains.

Most cases of simple, uncomplicated diverticulitis respond to conservative therapy with bowel rest and antibiotics. Despite being recommended by several guidelines, the use of antibiotics in mild cases of uncomplicated diverticulitis is supported with only "sparse and of low quality" evidence, with no evidence supporting their routine use.

However, recurring acute attacks or complications, such as peritonitis, abscess, or fistula may require surgery, either immediately or on an elective basis.

You should have a low residue diet. This low-fiber diet gives the colon adequate time to heal without needing to be overworked. Later, you can go for a high-fiber diet.

Hard lump to the left side of your belly button may be a Sub cutaneous swelling like lipoma. However, Umbilical hernia has to be excluded too. Please consult your surgeon and get it diagnosed. If you are not having vomiting, Intestinal obstruction is ruled out.

Let me know if you have more concerns.

Wish you good health.
Follow-up: Stomachache, numbness and tingling in hands and feet. Getting relief after B12 vaccination. Suggestion? 2 hours later
Thankyou so much. I have heard more from you than anyone. Surely if I had Peritonitis an Abscess or Fistula or a Lipoma or an Umbilical Hernia they would have picked that up in my CT scan? If not should I have any other more accurate tests and if so which?
I am relating to the intense stomach cramps I have every night and have had for 3 and a half years non stop although the pain began 8 years ago. I do get fevers and very hot at night and suffer alot of sleep deprivation as a result of the pain. I feel nauseous and a bit sick but have never actually been sick.

Also this increbible coldness in my feet and ankles. Can I do any more about this?
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 40 minutes later

A small Lipoma or a small Umbilical hernia can be missed by radiologist. Clinical examination by Surgeon clearly delineates the two.

Regarding intense cramps, it may be IBS). However, Fever is not seen in IBS.
So, fever with abdominal pain may be due to Mild Diverticulitis. Please consult a Surgical Gastroenterologist and confirm the diagnosis.

Regarding incredible Coldness in your feet and ankles, please get a Color Doppler of the affected limb. It clearly shows any arterial pathology.

Wish you good health.
Follow-up: Stomachache, numbness and tingling in hands and feet. Getting relief after B12 vaccination. Suggestion? 51 minutes later
Thankyou very much for your reply. Could you let me know how I get a Color Doppler. I dont know what that is.
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 1 hour later

I think you might have heard of routine Ultrasonography.It is an ultrasound-based diagnostic imaging technique used for visualizing subcutaneous body structures including tendons, muscles, joints, vessels and XXXXXXX organs for possible pathology or lesions. Obstetric sonography is commonly used during pregnancy and is widely recognized by the public.

UltraSonography can be enhanced with Doppler measurements, which employ the Doppler effect to assess whether structures (usually blood) are moving towards or away from the probe, and its relative velocity. By calculating the frequency shift of a particular sample volume, for example flow in an artery or a jet of blood flow over a heart valve, its speed and direction can be determined and visualised. This is particularly useful in cardiovascular studies (sonography of the vascular system and heart) and essential in many areas such as determining reverse blood flow in the liver vasculature in portal hypertension. The Doppler information is displayed graphically using spectral Doppler, or as an image using color Doppler (directional Doppler) or power Doppler (non directional Doppler). This Doppler shift falls in the audible range and is often presented audibly using stereo speakers: this produces a very distinctive, although synthetic, pulsating sound.

Colour Doppler is done by a Radiologist .This test should be referred by a Doctor.

Hope i answered your query.

Wish you good health.