Stomach virus, swelling and tightness in throat, vomiting. Swelling due to lymph nodes or inflamed esophagus ?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I'm getting over what's most likely a stomach virus that started a week ago and subsided as of yesterday. I've still got a tight, swollen feeling around my throat. I'm just wondering if it's the lymph nodes that are giving the swollen feeling, or if vomiting from the virus could have inflamed the esophagus; because unfortunately there were a couple times were I could have vomited, but I held it in.
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in GERD
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 1 hour later

Since when are you suffering from GERD

Have you had any blood in your vomit

Has your voice gone hoarse

Any shortness of breath

It appears that you might have inflammed your throat after all. There is a high possibility because the stomach juice contains a lot of acid and other digestive juices which can cause damage to the throat lining.

You need to keep the throat free from irritation. Avoid spicy, hot or cold food or fluids. Avoid coffee, alcohol, smoking. Drink XXXXXXX warm fluids, plenty of water. Eat food XXXXXXX in fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables. Do not lie down immediately after a meal but after 2 hours. Till then you can lie at an angle of 45 degrees with head end up. This helps to reduce acid reflux and GERD if it exists.

If you do have a fever or any swellings in the neck it could be lymph nodes which will need to be seen by your Doctor.

I would highly recommend that you consult your ENT Doctor to get a look at your throat to rule out possible aspiration into your larynx which can also cause throat irritation and a hoarse voice.

Practice proper handwashing procedure to avoid spread of germs and viruses which can cause stomach flu. Keep well hydrated. Avoid eating at road-side vendor's places as much as possible.

You may do steam inhalation for relief. Do consult your Doctor immediately and get a thorough evaluation to rule out laryngitis, GERD, and possible swollen lymph nodes.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.