Stomach rash, itchy, not taking medication, no change in diet. Any suggestions?

HIV AIDS Specialist
Good Morning Doctor,
I have a stomach rash that goes from just below my belly button to just below my chest and covers the entire front of my stomach. I've had it for about three weeks now, and its recently spread to the middle of my lower back and a little on my neck as well. It does itch sometimes, but generally speaking, I feel just fine. I'm not on any medications, and haven't changed my diet. I thought at first it was just a heat rash, but I think that three weeks is a bit long to have that. I'd appreciate any suggestions. Thank you.
Posted Sun, 22 Jul 2012 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 3 hours later

Thank you for your question.

The way you present your problem strikes to me that you may be suffering from a condition called as Pityriasis Rosea.

It is a self limiting disease, supposed to be of viral aetiology. The distribution of rashes is mainly along the rib margin and itching will not be marked.

Some bland over the counter emollients and antihistamines will be sufficient. The rashes will persist for three months and it will vanish spontaneously.

Other fungal dermatophyte lesions are markedly itching. So it is unlikely.

Nothing to worry. You will be alright soon.

A photograph of the lesions will be more useful to pinpoint the cause. You have a feature to upload the reports / image by yourself at the right side of the query page, please utilize that so that I can answer your queries better.

Dr S.Murugan
Follow-up: Stomach rash, itchy, not taking medication, no change in diet. Any suggestions? 20 hours later
Thank you for your prompt reply and your professional answer. I really appreciate it. I feel less worried and although two more months is a long time. its nice to know that it will go away.

Thanks Again,
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 23 hours later

Thanks for the feedback. In future if you wish me to answer your question, kindly post through this link.

Please close the discussion and rate my answer.