Stomach protrudes, overweight, arterial hernia

Question
I was at my cardiologist and have been informed I have an arterial hernia. he said he will not do anything because it's due to my being overweight but I feel this happened while lifting shipments over the years. My stomach protrudes and I have questioned this 6 years ago and he shrugged his shoulders then. What do I do now?
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Blood Disorders

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 hours later
Hello
An arterial hernia or aneurysm occurs when part of a blood vessel (artery) or cardiac chamber swells, - either the blood vessel is damaged or there is a weakness in the wall of the blood vessel. As blood pressure builds up it balloons out at its weakest point.
Causes of this herniation includes-Atherosclerosis, arteriosclerosis, hypertension, smoking, vasculitis, cocaine use, etc.
Being overweight is indirectly associated to it. Lifting heavy weights is not likely to cause this problem. Loosing some weight, decreasing cholesterol will help.
I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.
Regards.