Stomach pain, vomiting bile, pain post eating food. Should I eat solid or liquid food?

Question
I didn't much to eat today.I had slimfast and coffee around 9:00am. Noon jerky and water. 3:00 a small parfait. Stomach ache. I had crackers,gingerale and pepto with time in between each. It eased up enough that I could fall asleep about 40 min. Woke up in pain, threw up some pepto. Fell asleep about 30 min. woke up in pain and threw up again. This time all bile. Yellow and very bitter. Should I eat something more solid to try and soak up the bile or take something else.
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Radhika 33 minutes later

You have eaten mostly liquid diet and some light breakfast. This might have caused gastritis / acid build up resulting in abdominal pain and vomiting.

You can continue to have the peptobismol before food and have some solid food. Eat non oily and non spicy food or else the vomiting might start again. You can have bread, rice, sandwich, porridge, yoghurt etc.

Restrict coffee or tea for few days too.

You would have to visit your doctor, if you continue to have abdominal pain and repeated episodes of vomiting. You might need some prescription medications then.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available for follow up queries.

Wish you good health and speedy recovery.

Follow-up: Stomach pain, vomiting bile, pain post eating food. Should I eat solid or liquid food? 18 hours later
Can I take something for the pain. I hurt each time after I eat.

Answered by Dr. Radhika 2 hours later

Thanks for the follow up.

Pepto-Bismol will itself relieve you of the pain, but if you feel that is hurting a lot you can have Tablet Tylenol twice a day for 3 days. Have cold milk early in the morning.