Stomach pain, viral fever, done ultrasound, calculus in kidney, hydronephrosis. Treatment?

Hi Team
My freind's ultra sonic scan report has the below lines
Rt kidney
5mm calculus seen in upper pole.Mild hyronephrosis noted
Lt kidney
5mm claculus seen in upper and lower pole.No hyronephrosis noted.

I would like to know how many stones are there in his kidneys and what treatment is recommended.He is suffering from acute stomach pain and severe viral fever.
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 36 minutes later

I would like to mention that the reports which you have attached has an error in the file and it is not opening so I am explaining it on the basis of details provided by you in the query.If you want you can send the reports again at YYYY@YYYY .

It states that in the right kidney a single 5 mm stone is seen on the upper side and along with that there is also Hydronephrosis which is swelling of the kidneys due to back pressure of urine and kidney not functioning properly.

In the left kidney 5 mm stone is seen on both the upper and lower side that is there are two stones in left one but there is no swelling of the kidney.

Since he is also complaining of fever and stomach pain he needs immediate attention.First of all Kidney Function tests are to be done to see the functioning of kidneys and then after clinical examination and evaluation the need for surgery would be decided.

Consider visiting a Surgeon earliest so that appropriate treatment can be started soon.

Hope this information is adequate.I will be available for follow up in case of doubt.