Stomach pain, sore throat, ear ache, head ache, body ache, chills

ENT Specialist
Hi- Im a 30 Yr old, good health. Today sudenly I have stomach pains, sore throat, ear ache, headache body ache and chills.
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 1 hour later

Thanks for the query

The symptoms described by you are the features of acute viral infection involving the upper respiratory tract.

Upper respiratory tract infection (URTI) is an acute infection involving the upper respiratory tract: nose, sinuses, pharynx or larynx. The most common features of URTI are sudden onset of malaise, cold, sore throat, fever, headache, etc. It is usually of viral in etiology caused by organisms such as rhinovirus, parainfluenza virus, adenovirus, etc. This is usually self-limiting and resolves within 3-4 days. Sometimes, this can be supper added with bacterial infection leading to worsening of the symptoms.

As URTI is initially of viral pathology, you can try home remedies such as bed rest, consuming plenty of warm liquids and steam inhalation 3-4 times per day. Avoid smoking and coffee as it dries up the nasal and throat secretions.

Try using saline nasal spray, paracetamol tablets for pain relief and malaise. If the symptoms do not improve within 3-4 days with the symptomatic medicines, then you will require antibiotics for the treatment of the same. Antibiotics such as a combination of amoxycillin and clavulanic acid, second generation cephalosporins are beneficial in controlling the infection.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon