Stomach pain, red sunburn, allergic reaction, benadryl, diva cup. TSS?

This afternoon I had a sudden stomach ache, and ran to the bathroom, where I had a bowel movement. My stomach started feeling better. But then I noticed that my arms and face were really hot and burning, like if you had a sunburn. I looked in the mirror to find that it also looked like I had a sunburn (even had white strips where my straps were!). I took some Benadryl, and after 30 min when it didn't go away, headed to urgent care. By then, I now had splotchy red sun burn all over my thighs and legs (though never on my back or stomach). With no other symptoms (the rash didn't even itch), the doctor at the urgent care brushed it off as an allergic reaction (I'm 32 and have never had an allergic reaction before in my life). While I was there, the rash eventually faded on it's own. When I got home, I looked up "sudden sunburn like rash" and what kept popping up: TSS. I actually am on day 3 of my period, where I'm trying the Diva Cup (menstrual cup) for the first time. Now I'm freaked out. My husband says I'm over reacting and don't need to go to the ER. Can you tell me...does the sunburn like rash that appears with TSS go away after about 45 min if you take Benadryl? Also, would it appear without the low blood pressure, fever, achy, etc. I have a bit of a headache right now, but that is actually normal for me after I take an afternoon nap (the Benadryl made me tired). Should I be concerned or do you think the rash/allergic reaction and the menstrual cup are just a coincidence? I'm afraid of not taking this seriously, since I know TSS can be fatal. If there is a chance I have it, and the rash is just the beginning of the symptoms, I'd rather discover it early to treat! (It's Sunday, so seeing my regular doctor is not an option at the moment.)
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later

The rash you had was spread all over your body and it subsided after some time when you took benadryl definitely points towards it being an allergic rash.Using a menstrual cup seems to be most likely just a co-incidence. The cause of allergy might be the environment pollens or some kind of food that you have taken as the rashes were spread all over your body.

Regarding the TSS, septicemia is always associated with it along with very high fever. You need not worry about this.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available if you have any further queries.