Stomach pain on the first day of menstruation

I am getting stomach pain during the the first day of my menstruation, unable to do my normal work, Please advise
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 22 minutes later
Mild pain in the lower abdomen is usually associated with onset of periods. It happens due to contraction of uterine muscles.
Most of the times such pain can be relieved by a hot fomentation and taking a mild pain killer with an antispasmodic like Meftal spas. You can take one tablet thrice daily after the meals.
Try to have light and easy to digest diet till the pain is relieved.
Limit sugar and salt intake. Take only what you need. Excessive sugar and salt in the form of processed foods also increases the pain. Reduce carbonated drinks too.

If none of these measure help you will need to XXXXXXX a Gynecologist who can perform necessary investigations like Ultrasound to know any pathology.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.