Stomach pain, dark stools, sleeplessness

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
hi im XXXXXXX 35 yrs old for last quite some time i m having consistant pain in upper portion of my stomach. pain is some time so severe that i m not able to sleep. for last four days colour of my stools is pitch dark.
some time the pain becomes so severe that i become irritated and this pain constantly affects my work. the pain is some time specific to oesophasus and upper portion of stomach.
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 13 minutes later

Your history is suggestive of Chronic Gastritis and what you have mentioned for your stools is called Malena.

Let me explain you in simple language:

1] The burning sensation in chest
2] Pain in upper portion of stomach
3] Increased intensity of burps

All point to swelling of the inner membrane of stomach which a non medical person commonly calls as acidity

The pitch dark color of your stools suggests the severity of your problem, means there is some erosion which has led to oozing of blood which mixed with stool gives it a pitch dark color

How would you manage it?

1] Diet - If your diet is spicy and fermented - change it to bland diet
2] Smoking - Avoid smoking
3] Alcohol - Avoid Alcohol
4] Stress - Manage stress, as anxiety and stress will increase the issue, so take good sleep also
5] Medications - Because you have malena, I would suggest you get an Upper GI Endoscopy done, in the mean time take antacids and if possible - sucralfate liquid 3-4 times a day might be helpful.

Hope all clear. I am available for follow up queries if you have any.

Get Well Soon