Stomach pain, can feel heart beat in stomach. Had diarrhea and colonoscopy. Should I see another doctor?

I am a 24 year old male. I have had ongoing diarrhea for a few months now. I had a colonoscopy and all was ok. On a few occasions I had had very severe stomach pain that has doubled me over. Today I woke up from sleeping with this pain and noticed I could strongly feel my heartbeat in my stomach. The pain has since subsided to very moderate and I am only feeling my heart beat if I press my belly. Do I need to go see another doctor and if so should I see my family doc or an upper gi?
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 1 hour later
Hello and thank you for submitting your question.

Your question is a good one and I will work on providing you with some good information and recommendations regarding what is going on.

From the information that you submitted it seems like you are suffering from very irregular bowel movements with predominant diarrhea. More recently. You have had an appropriate work up so far with a colonoscopy to make sure there are no abnormalities in the colon.

There are a couple of considerations regarding the symptoms which you are describing. The first consideration would be that you have a moderate case of Stress as well as anxiety can exacerbate these symptoms. In addition, if you may have any intolerance to dairy products. This can also exacerbate the problem if you drink milk products or eat any products which have a significant amount of galactose in them.

One other consideration would be that you have an Allergy to gluten. This is something which your doctor can evaluate for with a simple blood test. Sometimes a biopsy can be done during a colonoscopy to evaluate for that. You might check with your Gastroenterologist to see if he did perform any biopsies during your colonoscopy to rule that out.

The last consideration would be that you have some type of mild infection. Your doctor can evaluate for this by checking some simple tests in your stool.

I am not concerned that you have any type of life-threatening process going on. I am sure your symptoms will eventually improve with some time and some consideration. At this point, I would recommend that you visit with your irritable bowel syndrome and you might benefit from a trial of one of these medications.

Again I thank you for submitting your question. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Robert