Stomach pain, burning sensation, vomiting, excess saliva. Medication and treatment ?

My son how is 27 is having stomach pain with burning. He did vomit once. Also has excessive saliva. He has no insurance and cannot see a doctor. Any medicine over the counter that may help? Please!
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 7 hours later
Hello and thanks for the query.

It is very likely that he has a moderate case of gastritis which is caused by excessive acid secretion and irritation of the lining of the stomach.

This causes a variety of symptoms including pain in the abdomen, nausea and vomiting. The excessive saliva is a natural mechanism by which the body prepares for vomiting.

For him I recommend you to go to the pharmacy to obtain omeprazole 20 mg tablets. He should take one tab with breakfast and one with dinner for 7 days. After 7 days he should take one with breakfast only for 21 more days. This should promote healing and resolution of his symptoms.

I thank you again for the query. I hope this response proves to be helpful. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Galamaga