Stomach pain, bowel problems, mouth sores, throat pain. Can braces cause abdominal pain?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi My son has been so ill with major stomach pain, (attacks lasting from 1 to 6 hours) bowel problems, mouth sores, and throat pain. Been to specialists, emergency, and at least 7 docs and no one can help. He has had an ultrasound, tons of blood work etc. He's been told by docs that he's lying or just needs XXXXXXX seltzer. This began in August last year, and has just recently stopped. Funny thing, he got invisaligns end of July, and they broke in November, so he has not had them in for the past month...and he's been healthy! Suspicious of the braces. Can they cause severe abdominal pain? All the test for everything else came up negative, and docs have given up. I am thinking he should not put in the next set His teeth have spread again but I am apprehensive to use them. Do you know of anything in the invisaligns that could cause this?
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 hours later
Abdominal pain in children is a common problem and is in most of the cases difficult to diagnose. It is good that all the investigation reports are normal in your son's case.
Orthodontic braces are not likely to cause the abdominal pain. You need not be apprehensive regarding using the braces.
In children, overfeeding is a common cause of pain abdomen. This causes colicky pain and vomiting. Psychological causes of pain abdomen are also common and can be identified with the help of a psychotherapist.
Most of the times using anti spasmodic preparations available over the counter are helpful. You can consult a gastroenterologist for a better evaluation in case the pain is persistent.
I hope this answers your query effectively.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Stomach pain, bowel problems, mouth sores, throat pain. Can braces cause abdominal pain? 16 hours later
WOW! This answer was the exact same crap I heard from other doctors. It was all in his head, that is bull crap. HE IS 12 so colicky pain is not accurate. Also, there is no vomiting. As a matter of fact, he wasn't eating at all, nothing but jello and broth for months. Funny now that he isn't wearing them anymore, he's feeling so much better, is eating and happy. If it isn't the braces, I would like to know what it is, too many i don't knows from professionals who should.
Anti spasmatic drugs were prescribed and made him sicker. I am unsure how you can be so positive the plastic in the braces weren't making him sick, maybe he has an allergy to them. I was asking this site in hopes of getting an answer that would make sense. But I've already heard this from the 12 docs we have seen, and no one offered to give him tests...I had to beg.
Can you please look into other cases of reactions to Invisaligns? otherwise this was a huge waste of time and money for me. Even if you know the chemical composition if the braces, I can research more into what these plastic braces can do to children. Please let me know more about them. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 12 hours later

I am sorry I could not convince you with my explanation during our last conversation. Let me try today.

Since you are looking more into the reactions to Invisaligns, it would be ideal if you can post the same query to a pediatric dentist (i. e. Pedodontist) on the same website.

Orthodontic braces do produce a foreign body like sensation and some children try to avoid food while wearing them which adds to the complications. Allergy to the plastic material of braces is not very common and is less likely to cause such a regular pain abdomen.

Here are few of my opinion:

When all the investigations were normal, considering a course of deworming medication would have helped. I hope it is being done by one of the 12 doctors that have seen your son.

Nutritional deficiency of multivitamins may also be co- existing in your son’s case. His general health may be on a lower side as he has stomach pain, mouth sores, and throat pain. All these may have occurred due to Invisaligns.

Having a dental brace on, generally decreases the overall oral hygiene. It is good that he is eating normally and happily now for a month after getting the Invisaligns removed.

There is also a possibility of Non-specific intestinal colitis due to disturbance in the normal intestinal flora. Antispasmodics may have made him worse, but try a course of good intestinal antibiotic (if not done yet).

All the best.