Stomach pain and swelling after drinking alcohol. Could I have cirrhosis? No fatigue, vomiting, fever or jaundice.

hi i recently had a big couple of weakends on alcohol and the day after i had a mild dull pain in the upper right side of the stomach and have noticed that my stomach has swollen or gotten fairly bigger. I have done reserch and havnt liked what i found, could i have cirrhosis, i have no feeling of fatigue or vomating or fever no jaundice just a mild pain and the feeling of fluid in the stomach, what should i do i am 24 year old male and really scared...
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 23 minutes later

It is common to exhibit stomach bloating after consumption of alcohol due to the ingredients which are in alcohol and also if it is taken on empty stomach it may be a major reason. After drinking in large quantity, there is loss of eletrolytes from the body which can cause this.

Some suggestions for you:

1)Drink lots of water as it prevents bloating and releases the accumulated gas.

2)You may consider taking tablet tums on empty stomach for 5 days in the morning. This is an over the counter medicine, you do not need a prescription for this.

2)Avoid food that increase gas formation as broccoli, cabbage ,beans, chicken, sprouts and have high fibre diet.

3)Do some form of exercise, even a walk for half an hour.

4)Avoid alcohol on empty stomach and have after food. It is best to reduce alcohol consumption and avoid too much intake as it has various other harmful effects in the body.

5)Avoid high salt food as chips, processed foods and avoid smoking.

If there is development of any other symptom as excess pain, fever then consider visiting a Physician for evaluation.

At this stage, I do not think there is any Cirrhosis of Liver.

Hope this answers your query. I will be available for follow up query.

Follow-up: Stomach pain and swelling after drinking alcohol. Could I have cirrhosis? No fatigue, vomiting, fever or jaundice. 3 hours later
Thanks for your answer, i should have said the next day i had pain in the upper right abdomen, didint notice a bloated stomach untill a few days latter, its been 6 days now and still a slight mild dull pain and bloated or bigger stomach, even the sides. It looks like ive put on a few kilos but the scales havnt changed. Is this normal.
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 3 hours later

Thanks for the follow up.

Bloating even after few days is fine. Alcohol contains more calories, so it is possible to feel as if you have gained, as due to alcohol intake fat tends to accumulate in the tummy region.

But if the pain is persistent even after 6 days, then it is advisable to get yourslef evaluated once as a physical examination would help in giving a better picture. Along with that if required Ultrasound scan can also be performed for a better view of gall bladder and pancreas region.

Hope, this helps to solve your query.

Wishing you Good Health!