Stomach pain and reduction in baby movements, prescribed gas tablets. What is the cause?

General Surgeon
Question
Hi , My wife is in her 32nd week of pregnancy. From past 1 day she has stomach pain n sudden reduction in the baby movements. What is the cause ? We have consulted the doctor and she assumes it could be becasue of the formation of gas and have given tablets for 2 days and asked us to get back if my wife does not feel anyy movements and reduction i n the pain
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Swapnendu Sekhar Ghosh 5 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX
Thanks for writing in.
The symptoms that your wife are suggestive of a condition called abruptio placentae, which constitutes an emergency.
In this condition, the placenta separates from the uterine wall and blood collects between the placenta and the uterus. Since the child gets his/her main blood supply from the placenta, the blood supply gets compromised and the fetal activity gets reduced.
In such a condition, you wife needs steroid injections to hasten the delivery of her child’s lungs; an ultrasound to confirm the diagnosis and strict bed rest.
She can go into labor at any time and I would suggest you take her to an emergency as soon as possible.

Follow-up: Stomach pain and reduction in baby movements, prescribed gas tablets. What is the cause? 14 hours later
Thank you Dr XXXXXXX Now its been 2 days after the above mentioned sysmptoms, after taking the tablets , my wife can feel the baby movements now.The next scan is scheduled for May 2nd , should I prephone that one to be on he safer side.

But yes she gets tired very soon these days and want to sleep always.

Answered by Dr. Swapnendu Sekhar Ghosh 3 hours later

Thank you for the reply.

It's good to know the fetal movements have resumed. Normal foetal movements and absence of pain is an good indication to believe that the foetus is doing well.

I would suggest if no clinical check up/ultrasound scan has been done since last complain, it will be better to have a clinical check up/ultrasound scan in between (before 2nd May).

Hope everything goes well.
If I have answered all your query, please accept and close this discussion.