Stomach pain and bloating. Surgery done for tumor removal in colon. Temporary ileostomy done. Cure for the pain?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My father just had surgery to remove a cancerous tumor from his colon. He has a temporary ileostomy. The problem is at night he is experiencing a lot of bloating he gets a sharp pain in his belly that wakes him up. Is there anything he can do or take to stop this?
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 hours later

After ileostomy, the intestines get narrowed, fecal output increases and water loss from body increases. Bloating and distension with abdominal cramps are common and are related to increased frequency of loose stools.

Dietary modifications are the first line of treatment. Choose well cooked food, plenty of juices, white or refined breads and cereals, skinned and pureed fruits, etc.
You can chalk out an appropriate dietary schedule for him after consulting with his dietitian.

If the dietary modifications do not provide adequate relief then you need medicines like lomotil may be used after consulting with your gastroenterologist.

I hope this answers your query effectively.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.