Stomach pain. On stool softners. Blood, urine, CAT scan, revealed inflamed intestines. Treatment for constipation ?

I had my 6 year old in the ER over the weekend for severe stomach pain. They took blood, urine, did x-rays, and a cat scan. The results came back that she had lots of stool in her belly and was constipated. They did not see blockage. We have been giving her miralax and other stool softeners. She had gone several times in the last week, but is still complaining of belly pain. It wakes her up at night. The dr told us when he looked at the cat san that her intestines were "inflammed". Is there anything we can do to reduce her pain? The dr did not say how long it would take for the inflammation to go away. We are in the process of changing family doctors so we have not taken her to her pediatrician yet.
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Constipation
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 6 hours later
The pain abdomen due to constipation is expected.The pain is most likely to be due to the inflammation of the intestines.
Right now you can give her some over the counter anti spasmodics. Check if there is an over the counter antispasmodic available with your pharmacist. Give it to her after taking fluid diet, three times a day. For pain do a hot fomentation and give her light easy to digest oil free food.
Inflammation of the intestines is commonly associated with infection which might have to be treated with antibiotics.You can avoid giving her any laxative before bed time to avoid night time cramps.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.