Stomach discomfort, chest pain, back pain, skipping heart beats. Does this sound heart-related?

Question
Hi there, im a 28 5'5'' 175lbs year old female and for the past 4 days i have been experiencing some upper stomach discomfort that also feels like a chest pain . I don't have any other symptoms other than a mild upper back pain that comes also since i am paying close attention i think i can feel my heart ''skipping'' a beat every once in a while. I know this might be a silly question but, does this sound like it could be heart related?
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 23 minutes later

At your age group, chances of a cardiac disease are very less likely because in reproductive age group, the female hormones protect a female against any heart disease.

This chest pain can be due to muscle strain as it is associated with occasional upper back pain also.

Another possibility from these symptoms is of acid reflux which may cause chest pain which mimics a heart chest pain. Try raising the head of your bed about four inches with blocks. It also might help to avoid eating or drinking for two hours before you lie down.

To help control the stomach acid, one should not drink alcohol or drinks with caffeine in them, or eat chocolate or spicy or greasy foods. Also take some antacid but if the symptoms are severe, then you may need drugs like proton pump inhibitors.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up query.

Regards.

Follow-up: Stomach discomfort, chest pain, back pain, skipping heart beats. Does this sound heart-related? 8 hours later
Thank you for your answer and i do have a follow up question. I had suspected acid reflux and it makes sense . But since the pain kinds of radiates to my left arm and doesn't respond to antacids, i thought it could be muscle or heart related . Should i take medication such as ibuprofen to see if it goes away ? and if it doesn't go away should i go see a Dr as soon as possible? There is also a burning sensation in the upper stomach and chest area. Im only stressing because even though i know it is unlikely to b heart problems but im also aware of heart attack don't discriminate age.

Thank you in advance

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 15 hours later

Thanks for posting back.

To alleviate any doubts about cardiac causes, it is best to get an EKG (Electrocardiogram) heart done. You can take NSAID (Non Steroidal Anti – Inflammatory Drugs) pain killers like Ibuprofen as muscle pains do get better with it but it can worsen gastritis. Hence it is advisable to take them after meals.

Also take antacids like tums before meals.

Regards.