Stomach cramps, vomiting followed with diarrhea. Had appendix cancer, do yearly colonoscopy & endoscopy. Advise?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Every month I get cramps in stmoct are and then I start vomiting a lot and then diiahera this is going on for about 10 years every on had appendix cancer I go for colonoscopy every year and endoscopy every thing is fine also took other this for Chrons Ibsen everything is fine maybe you can help me thank you. XXXXXXX
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 3 hours later

Thanks for posting your query

Here is some information I need before I can help you

1] What was the surgery performed for appendix cancer 10 years back ?
2] What was the type of malignancy ?
3] Was there any adjuvant treatment like chemotherapy or radiotherapy provided?
4] What is the frequency of cramps, vomiting and diarrhea ? Is it continuous or in bouts ? How does it subside?
5] Your statement for Crohn's is not clear, if you can elaborate on it ?

Get back to me with this information & I will help you out

Follow-up: Stomach cramps, vomiting followed with diarrhea. Had appendix cancer, do yearly colonoscopy & endoscopy. Advise? 23 minutes later
I had appendix cancer 2001 the appendix was taken out and a good amount of intestine. Also had some reconstructing in side. I had first 9 weeks of radiotherapy and ten 6 months of chemo. About every month I start to get cramps around stomach area last about 4 to 6 hrs than I start vomting about 5 to 15 times. Then about a few hours later I have some diarrhea.all this las about one day then the next day I start to feel better my gastroenterologist test me for crohn,s threw a colonoscopy and says everything is fine b But what is the reason for this every month please try to help me thank you. XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 19 minutes later

Thanks for providing me the details of surgery and related information

Usually after major intestinal resections we see some patients suffering from intra abdominal adhesions

These can be between loops of intestine or between intestinal loops and other organs

Now how to confirm if there are adhesions or not?

Firstly your symptoms point to the same

Secondly keep an observation on your abdomen after meals, is there any distention ? You may keep a record of abdominal girth

Do the cramps reduce after you vomit out ? If yes it is also suggestive of adhesions

You may go for a high resolution ultrasound or a CT/MRI to see if there are dilated bowel loops

The last step is a diagnostic/Therapeutic Laparoscopy

Hope this helps
Am available for followup queries
Get Well Soon