Stomach cramps, pain in the back and legs. Taken pedialyte. Due to dehydration?

I had the stomach bug 2 days ago...yesterday my stomach finally stopped cramping but my legs and back ACHE REALLY BAD!
I really don't like going to the doctor so I'm hoping you can help. Could this be from dehydration? I have almost finished a bottle of pedialyte. Should I be drinking Gatorade? Water? It hurts really bad and I have a high pain tolerance so this is a little scary to me. I read that yogurt and bananas would be good to eat with my back and legs aching like they are...
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 48 minutes later

From your history you seem to have suffered an episode of gastroenteritis from which you seem to have recovered. The residual cramps in your legs & back are most probably due to the electrolyte imbalance associated with dehydration as correctly pointed by you.

Based on your history, I would suggest the following:

1. You need to take plenty of water with ORS (Oral Rehydrating Solution). You can take any ORS powder (Based on WHO formula) over the counter and prepare it by mixing it in water as per the instructions on the XXXXXXX

2. You can drink plenty of fresh fruit juice (rich in electrolytes) rather than canned juices.

3. Since you have recovered only yesterday, you should take light meals today, semisolid food stuff/ fruit juice/ soups, and others which are easy to digest. It will benefit you.

4. Since your episode of diarrhea has subsided only yesterday, you should not immediately start taking milk based products like yoghurt. You may start them after a couple of days. Yoghurts contain lactobacillus and are therefore beneficial in diarrhea; but being milk based product they also can cause diarrhea in some individuals. Instead over the counter lactobacillus sachets are available and you can take those dissolving them in a glass of water.

5. You can eat smashed bananas with semisolid consistency (Bananas are XXXXXXX in electrolytes), they will help.

6. Also coconut water if available is a very good source of electrolytes.

With all these measures you will definitely be well very soon.

Hope I have answered you question. Please accept my answer in case there are no follow up queries.

Wish you a speedy recovery.

Take care & regards,

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra