Stomach cramps, lightheadedness, headache, nausea. Have Type 1 diabetes. Advice?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I am a type 1 diabetic. Currently I have stomach cramps, light headedness, muscle aches, general weakness, headache, nausea and haven't been able to hold down food today. What might be my problem and should I go to the hospital?
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Everything you describe here sounds like most likely a benign type of viral syndrome. Viruses in the environment are common and when we are exposed to them they can sometimes trigger a constellation of symptoms including headache, weakness, nausea, etc.
These types of viral syndromes typically last from as little as 3 days up to sometimes 2 weeks. I would advise that you support your body with good hydration, adequate sleep and a well-balanced diet. In addition you can supplement your diet with some Vitamin C - 1000 mg daily and consider drinking some immune boost type of tea such as Echinacea which is readily available at most supermarkets.
I expect your symptoms to gradually level off and improve over the next 2-3 days. In the event that this does not occur, I suggest you visit with your primary physician for a complete physical exam and possibly some blood work as well. In the meantime, try not to worry about this.
You can start with acetaminophen double strength 8 hourly and an antispasmodic available at your nearest pharmacy. Have light and easy to digest food. Taking tablet domperidone will help in reducing nausea and vomiting.

I hope this answers your query effectively.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.