Stomach bloating, difficulty breathing. Cardiac test, chest X-Ray normal. Can constipation be the cause?

My stomach bloats and I had a VERY difficult time breathing after drinking 2 beers. I have had a full cardiac workup and everything is normal. I could barely breath after this episode and the feeling of being bloated is very bothersome. The difficulty breathing is the most discerning. I had a chest x-ray that came back normal. What could it be?
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Follow-up: Stomach bloating, difficulty breathing. Cardiac test, chest X-Ray normal. Can constipation be the cause? 4 minutes later
I also have constipation. And had one time where I had an x-ray that showed I was completely backed up. Is this related to the difficulty breathing?
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 50 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query

Stomach bloating, difficulty in breathing, constipation and cardiac and chest evaluation being normal is indicative of Gut problems as:

1)GERD or Reflux Oesophagitis -- It should be relieved by intake of antacids. Try taking Prilosec on empty stomach and observe for any changes.

Make sure you move your bowels regularly.
I hope there is no pain or blood during stools. You should try to improve on your food habits, have more greens, fiber and vegetables.

2) Stomach or Duodenal Ulcer- It can cause heart burn, indigestion, chest pain and is related to food and alcohol intake.

3) A possibility of gall stones or inflammation of the Gall bladder can be suspected.

Investigations as Endoscopy and Ultrasound of the abdomen region would help in ruling out the cause.

You can control these symptoms by lifestyle modification so:

1) Have small frequent meals in a day.

2) Include more of fiber in diet and avoid spicy, fatty food.

3) Restrict tea, coffee, carbonated beverages and alcohol intake.

4) Never take alcohol on empty stomach.

5) Do not lie down immediately after food.

5) Drink lots of water

You can also take these medications after discussing with the Physician:

Activated charcoal will reduce the bloating sensation.

Probiotics and digestive enzyme supplements will help to improve indigestion.

Pepto bismol to relieve any abdominal discomfort.

Hope this answers your query. I will be available for follow up if any.