Stitches done on head after injury. Concave dent appeared. Is this normal?

I had 30 stitches in my head after a fall a few months ago, and there is now a concave dent in my head where I had the stitches. Is this normal? I never had x-rays after the fall, however I have not been suffering from any after-effects such as head-aches or blurred vision.
Posted Tue, 19 Feb 2013 in Head Injuries
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 20 minutes later

If the dent is hard on palpation, then it could be a bony deformity which could be the result of the trauma you had in past. X-ray would be useful to confirm this fact and study the deformity as well as plan its management.

If the dent is soft on palpation then it could be just a scar formed by the sutures. Such scars may stay forever or slightly deform over time. However there would be any need to treat such scars as they do not cause any complications.

Hope I answered your query. Please do let me know if there are any other concerns.

Follow-up: Stitches done on head after injury. Concave dent appeared. Is this normal? 32 minutes later
The dent is concave and i would estimate is roughly 1.5cms wide, though it feels like it has widened slightly over the last couple of months. There is no pain when I touch or apply pressure to it.

Does this sound more like scarring/a result of the stitches or a bony deformity?
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 18 minutes later

Thanks for writing back.

The consistency of the dent on touch is what helps to arrive at the possible diagnosis.

With the history and the description provided by you, this could be a scar and not a bony dent. As there are any other symptoms associated with the dent, I feel you will not need any treatment and you can stay unconcerned.

Do get the lesion examined once by your treating doctor, who on palpating can confirm my suspicion. A body defect may need to be X-rayed.

Hope I answered your query. Let me know if you have other concerns.
If all your queries are answered, please close this discussion.

Wish you good health.