Stitch like pain in left side. Underlying cause?

Stitch like pain in left side.its just a nagging pain which I get fairly often and I am conscious of it No other symptoms could be stress?
Posted Tue, 24 Sep 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Further testing may be required

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX

From your description it seems that you are getting chest pain. If you can describe your symptoms in detail, I will be able to help you better. You may describe it in context of location of pain, aggravating and relieving factors, any change in pain with breathing, position etc, severity of pain, what have you tried, what are the stressors, etc.

Before we blame stress for the pain, we need to rule out other disorders. The first test to get done is the ECG to rule out heart issues.

Waiting for your response.

Dr Vaishalee
Follow-up: Stitch like pain in left side. Underlying cause? 1 hour later
Pain is relieved by gentle massage, no tender areas located. It does not keep me awake nor does it have any effect on my breathing. I take a daily brisk 40 min walk.
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Still need ECG

Detailed Answer:
Hi again

It seems like a muscular pain, since it is getting better with a massage. Still I will recommend that further tests be done, taking into consideration your age and ongoing stresses. Stress can also cause similar symptoms. Try doing breathing techniques to help with stressors. You may also take a tablet of aspirin (if not allergic) whenever pain occurs.

Other lifestyle measures that can help are:
-Exercise 30 to 60 minutes a day on most days of the week, which you are already doing
-Maintain a healthy weight.
-Eat a diet that's low in saturated fat, cholesterol and salt.

Thus the best thing to do is to go to a nearby emergency hospital and tell them that you have chest pain. The doctors will do all the physical examination and basic tests along with ECG. They will rule out some common conditions that can present with similar symptoms.

Dr Vaishalee