Stinging pain in the lower abdomen. Had a hernia surgery in the past. Causes?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
I have a stinging in the left lower abdomen, over the pubic bone. It's like there's something knawing at me then suddenly there will be a sting like being bitten by a fire ant. Nothing is visible, it is all XXXXXXX I have had hernia surgery in the area, that was about twenty years ago.
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 32 minutes later

Your symptoms can be due to a neuropathic pain which is commonly stinging or a renal stone or gastrointestinal in origin due to changes at the surgical wound site like pressure on the nerves or blood vessels or bowel loop or prolapse or recurrent hernia.

I would suggest that you undergo a detailed evaluation by a surgeon who may order certain investigations like ultrasound abdomen and pelvis.

The treatment would then depend on the identified cause.

There is no other easy way to determine the cause.

I hope I have answered your query.