Stiffness in the leg and hand, herniated disc on spinal cord, intercostal muscle stiffness. Are these related?

i have a disc herniated on spinal cord a c5-6 cord compressed with cod flattening (moderate compression) had acdf done 2 years ago at c6-7. now experiencing more intercostal muscle stiffness,leg and hand stiffness and burning. are intercostal paresthesis related to this as well? how XXXXXXX is this?
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 59 minutes later

I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

Regarding the intercostal paresthesias, I feel it is not related to C5-C6 disc problem. Most often it is due to problem in the thoracic roots which are rarely affected by disc disease except in major injuries. So I suspect thoracic vertebral problem along with the existing C5-6 disc disease.

Regarding the weakness in the legs, stiffness in hands and legs may be due to the cord compression at the level of the cervical spinal cord. Pain in the shoulder and the neck is due to cervical root involvement due to the compression.

So over all I feel, you have disc which is compressing the roots as well as the cord compression occuring at multiple levels.

I am sorry, you are dealing with this frustrating concern. The bottom line is that you need to arrange an appointment with your Neuro or a Spine surgeon to solve the issue and discuss the possibilities of medical vs. surgical management of your problems. MRI of the cervical and thoracic spine will possibly confirm the disc problems at multiple levels.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups. Please accept my answer in case you do not have follow up queries.

Dr Shiva Kumar R