Stiffness in neck, pain in shoulder and back. Posture related pain?

I am XXXXXXX from Bengaluru, India. My job is a desk job in front of computer for about 8-9 hours. I regularly take breaks while at work. But since last 5-6 days, my neck has stiffened and my shoulders and back are aching. I had a bad posture for long a while now but trying to correct it. I also have been going to gym for last 2 weeks but started weight training only yesterday. I thought it was a passing pain & did not require medication, but now I think I need to consult a doctor. Any exercises, curative measures, tips or guidelines on the removal of pain will be appreciated.
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 13 minutes later

The symptoms that you are having are most probably due to cervical spondylosis. For this, try the following:

1)      Apply warm compresses on the area and take some over the counter anti-inflammatory pain killer like Ibuprofen after consulting your doctor.

2)     Application of topical muscle relaxants will also help.

3)     Cervical spondylosis also responds to anti-inflammatory drugs and cervical collars and traction.

4)     It is also better if you correct any posture imbalances that you may have, whether in a sitting posture or in a standing posture like you should avoid sitting on computers for long and when using computers try to keep the computer screen at the level of the eye so that you do not have to bend your neck.

5)      It is also very important to make sure that the pillow you use under your head is the correct size and thickness for your body.

6)     Make adjustments in your diet and add lots of calcium XXXXXXX foods like curd, milk etc in your diet.

7)     If the symptoms still persist then you may need steroid injections or surgical approach (as last approach).

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up query.