Stiffness in legs after rest. Red dots discoloration and painful after prolonged sitting. On warfarin for aortic valve replacement. Advise?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Apr 2013
Apr 2013

General Surgeon
Question
Stiffness after rest in legs...mainly lower. Red dots discoloration. Symptoms are very painful after prolonged sitting or driving. Once movement starts takes about 30 steps for pain to lessen. On warfarin for doctor should I see to address this. I am 6'2 240 very large frame work out and run 6x a week 2 miles a day....47 yr old.
Posted Sat, 31 Aug 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 27 minutes later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Thanks for the query.
you should see rheumatologist or vascular surgeon first. This sounds like blood flow disorder which can be arterial or venous. It should be evaluated by Doppler ultrasound or ct angiography. Stiffness after rest is sign of various rheumatologic diseases and specific blood tests should be done to rule this out.
secondly there could be neuromuscular disorder and some muscle problems could be seen by ultrasound too while sometimes only biopsy can verify the exact diagnosis.
if there is numbness and muscle weaknesses associated with stiffness then it may indicate several neurologic disorders which can start at you age.
I would not ignore your symptoms especially since you do exercise frequently so you should do more detailed work up to rule out disorders I ve mentioned.
wish you good health. Regards