Stiffness due to gout, have eliminated meat and fish, reduced alcohol, taking vitamin C. Am I doing the right things?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have improved my gout problem by eliminating a lot of meat and fish, reducing alcohol to less than a few glasses of wine each week, taking vitamin c, drinking coffee and generally eating fruit and vegetables. I still get a bit stiff in the mornings but on the whole, I have not encountered many symptoms. I am 63 years of age, in good health generally. Am I doing the right things?
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later

Gout as you would know is a condition where there is an increased uric acid levels in the blood; the uric acid crystals start depositing in the joint capsules causing the joint inflammation. This happens due to decreased excretion of urates by kidney, dietary changes or due to genetic predisposition.
It is definitely associated with consumption of alcohol, seafood and meat.

As far as dietary modification is concerned, you are doing the right thing by including the desired changes in your diet. Most of the symptoms can be controlled with strictly adhering to your diet.

In addition to these, I also suggest you to drink plenty of water daily to help the kidneys clear the uric acid.

The mild stiffness you have in the morning can be taken care of by hot fomentation and applying a local analgesic gel to the affected area. If they still persist and trouble you, you may seek medical help. Good anti-inflammatory analgesics and other specific medications which increase the uric acid excretion from the kidneys can be prescribed to you. That should take care of your issues

Hope I have provided you with useful recommendations. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Wish you good health.

Dr. Praveen Tayal.