Stiffness and soreness in the back on stretching. Strained hamstring diagnosed. Done ultrasound physical therapy. Remedy?

Question
hello. I really need some answers. I dance on a regular basis and about a year ago I began to feel stiffness and soreness in the back if my thigh when I stretched. Over time it became worse. I saw a doctor and he didn't touch me at all, he just said that I strained my hamstring. I got ultrasound physical therapy for five Weeks and still nothing. I have been inactive for about 5 months which I figure is enough time. I put heat on my thigh, then stretch, then ice it. I still have no good results. What should I do. I still feel the stiffness and soreness and even after a good stretch, the next day it's just as stiff and sore as before. I'm scared because it really affects my dancing which is what I love :( i'm beginning to thing I won't be ale to dance anymore. Please give new advice on what I should do, or what you're if stretching regiment I should do to get rid if this pain and stiffness.
Posted Thu, 28 Jun 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 42 minutes later

What you seem to be having is piriformis syndrome that occurs when the sciatic nerve is compressed or otherwise irritated by the piriformis muscle causing pain, tingling or numbness in the buttocks or along the path of the sciatic nerve descending down the lower thigh. Injury to the piriformis muscle in the hip can cause leg or thigh pain in dancers.

It is the principal lateral rotator of the hip. The sciatic nerve may pass under or through the piriformis, causing entrapment. Its trigger points typically refer into the leg or the hip.

Medical resonance neurography can confirm the diagnosis.

Apply warm compresses and elevate the affected leg and take an over-the-counter nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID). Physiotherapist can be consulted as exercises like stretching techniques, massage, and strengthening of the core muscles (abs, back, etc.) to reduce strain on the piriformis may be helpful.

In case conservative treatment is not effective then injections such as local anesthetics (e.g., lidocaine), Anti-inflammatory drugs and/or corticosteroids, botulinum toxin can be tried.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up query.

Follow-up: Stiffness and soreness in the back on stretching. Strained hamstring diagnosed. Done ultrasound physical therapy. Remedy? 16 hours later
Well the pain does not go all the way down my leg. The pain is VERY hard to pinpoint. To give you a better description:
It doesn't hurt when I walk, run, ride a bike etc.
Only feel the pain when I stretch or attempt to stretch.
The pain is right underneath my butt and kind of stems from there to the outer part of my thigh
I tried a piriformis stretch and it did not stretch where I needed it to.
I feel the most stretch when sitting down with the injured leg extended and my foot turned out, and leaning forward as if to grab my foot. The "sitting hamstring stretch". If the ultrasound therapy didn't work, and the heat, ice, and stretching doesn't work, and it doesn't hurt all the way down my leg, what could it be. please help doctor. Oh yeah, the pain is at it's worse when I attempt to do a standard kick if that helps any.
Follow-up: Stiffness and soreness in the back on stretching. Strained hamstring diagnosed. Done ultrasound physical therapy. Remedy? 6 hours later
at this point what should I do?

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 14 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

Another possibility could be meralgia parasthetica which causes Burning pain in or on the surface of the outer part of your thigh and dull pain in the buttocks.

Along with nerve conduction velocity test, EMG (electromyography) can be done. This test measures the electrical discharges produced in muscles to help evaluate and diagnose muscle and nerve disorders.